Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hog's a Coug (and his father wishes he was)!

Tim likes to take the kids on business trips with him when he can. The last trip was Hog's turn to spend a little one on one time with Dad. They made a quick trip to Utah and spent a little time at BYU.


Tim and I met in Provo in a BYU singles ward and Provo holds great memories for us. It's nostalgia city when we go back. However, Tim has never been much of a BYU lover and has always made fun of my alma mater. His family is steeped in BYU tradition with both of his parents attending. All of his siblings are graduates of BYU and all of the spouses of his siblings graduated from and/or attended BYU. He is the only one who was never a Cougar. I tell him he is just bitter because they wouldn't let him in.


So, imagine my surprise when he e-mailed these pictures to me during his trip.

Here is Hog posing with the famous "Y" in the background. Had I been there, we would have been on the mountain sitting on the "Y" posing for this picture, but the long range shot was just fine for Tim. Look closely and you will see that Hog is proudly wearing his very own BYU hat, purchased by his father a few minutes before in the bookstore. Hog also got a t-shirt to match the hat. WHAT? Is my husband coming over to the blue side after all these years?

They also bowled two games at the Wilk. Apparently, Tim did not spend enough time in this bowling alley during his Provo years because Hog legitimately beat him both games!!!




And no trip to Provo by a member of our family would be complete without a visit to The Brick Oven, which Grandpa likes to refer to as "Heaps of Pizza" or something like that. They even brought home some extra 2 liters of root beer, which is also a small and simple tradition of ours.


They had a lot of fun and Hog is still proudly wearing his hat everyday and the shirt as often as I launder it. I laugh and realize that the tradition will live on. Tim just shakes his head.

5 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

Ah, memories. I remember hiking the Y once. At night. I'm glad it was at night. There are too many switchbacks and it is not shady at all to hike during the day. It would probably be more fun with kids. I don't know, I think I would have done the long-range picture shot too!

Em said...

I love going back to visit BYU! Those were such happy times! I will always be a "COUG", even though some of my siblings make fun of me. They never went, so they just don't get it!

Durfee Family said...

Way to Go BYU!

Hawk Family said...

Go BYU, I can't believe Curtis is in BLUE!!

Your Mom was so excited to tell me that Tim had come to the other side!!

Donna Madsen said...

I can't believe he bought the stuff for him. That is too funny!